August 29, 2009

If I Stay - Gayle Forman




Young Adult
Hardcover: 208 pages
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Release Date: April 2, 2009

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeenyear- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she fi nds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

Wow. This book was powerful, to say the least. It is a story filled with sadness and heartbreak, and one only hope. A incredibly beautiful story that makes the reader collide in a cloud of emotions. I kept imagining it was me, how would I react? So hard to tell.

The writing and the plot were formidable. I loved the way she tells the story on a magical wave. The characters were so real, the book to me felt almost non-fiction. The feelings that play inside you while you read this wonderful story; they are the best part. Knowing everything will change with one decision you make. Powerful.

The cover, even though it's not one that I like, I can't think of any good cover for this. Had it been my book I would've left it cover-less. So of course, I think the current cover is well enough fitting. It is a story about every kind of love and most of all, every kind of loss. But more than anything it lifts music to another level. The main character in the story is the magic of music. If you can relate to that this book is for you.


8 comments:

  1. I didn't really know what this was about. To be honest, I saw the cover and then put it back. I know you should judge a book by it's cover. Shame on me. Anyways, I love powerful stories so this is one I definitely need to check out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also you got an award from me http://casey62588.blogspot.com/2009/08/awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you..I'm not sure if I like the cover but I trust your 4 stars so i'm definetly reading..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. V, Its a five star darling. Amazing book! I'm debating between making it a fave or not. And Casey, I wasn't sure I wanted to read it either but once I knew a movie was in progress I grabbad it and I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this one! It's been on my list for a while now. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days. I keep hearing good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was such a blubbering idiot through out most of this book. I was amazed of how quickly I became attatched to the whole family just by the first chapter. Awesome review!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished this book...really..really good!!..a great break from all the supernatural I've been reading lately..

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is so good ! I can't wait to read Where She Went !

    ReplyDelete

Say something...